Evergreen Valley Church Logo
Pastor Tim's Blog

Thursday, July 11, 2013

 

7 Liberating Truths about God

The truths about God in Psalm 103 liberate me. The verses in this Psalm are like keys that unshackle my mind. As I meditate on them my spirit soars.
I often find myself needing a spiritual shot of adrenaline. Psalm 103 is just what the Good Doctor above orders.
This Psalm reveals to us God's great compassion on His people. It's full of grace. It's full of mercy. It's full of love. Three things that I need to know and hear consistently.
The whole Psalm is fantastic. I want to walk you through a few  verses (6-18) and point out seven liberating truth about God.

Liberating Truth # 1 - God helps those in need.  (Verses 6-7)
The Lord works righteousness and justice for all the oppressed. He made known his ways to Moses, his deeds to the people of Israel.
Are you needy? The answer is YES. Whether we realize it or not, all of us are in need and God is working His righteousness and His justice on our behalf. What a great place to start experiencing liberation.

Liberating Truth #2 - God gives us what we don't deserve. (Verse 8)
The Lord is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love.
In God's compassion He receives me. In God's grace He pardons me. God is slow to anger so he is patient with me. God loves you more than you can ever possibly imagine.

Liberating Truth #3 - God will never treat us like we treat others. (Verses 9-10)
He will not always accuse, nor will he harbor his anger forever, he does not treat us as our sins deserve or repay us according to our iniquities.
We can harbor grudges against each other. We can repay and eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. But God will bless us even when we don't remember him. I forget to pray but God still feeds me.  If I fall, He will pick me up.  I can disappoint and fail but He still calls me His child.

Liberating Truth #4 - God removes and forgives all my sin. (Verses 11-12)
For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him; as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us.
We know more about the magnitude of God's love than even the Psalmist who wrote this. We now know that the heavens are way higher than what we can see with our eye or the most powerful telescopes. God's love and forgiveness is so great that our sins should never be able to haunt us. God has removed our sins! Let's live like it.

Liberating Truth #5 - God understands my weakness. (Verse 13)
As a father has compassion on his children, so the Lord has compassion on those who fear him.
I remember when our children were small and they would grow tired of walking. I would pick them up and carry them for awhile. Parents do that for their kids. They carry them. I see God knowing I'm weak and tired and our Heavenly Father picks us up and carries us.

Liberating Truth #6 - God remembers that we are dust. (Verses 14-16)
For he knows how we are formed, he remembers that we are dust. As for man, his days are like grass, he flourishes like a flower of the field; the wind blows over it and it is gone, and its place remembers it no more.
Life goes by quickly, doesn't it? One day we're young and the next we're feeling our age. A little wind blows us off course, mentally and physically. God knows that and it's liberating to know that our only hope is the One who made us!

Liberating Truth #7 - God love and faithfulness links me with eternity. (Verses 17-18)
But from everlasting to everlasting the Lord's love is with those who fear him, and his righteousness with their children's children - with those who keep his covenant and remember to obey his precepts.
Our life may fade but God is everlasting. We are mortal but God is eternal and He shares that eternity with us and our kids, and their kids...Liberating!

We're richer than we think, we are more blessed than we know and we have more than we realize. God knows me through and through and He loves me anyway. That's liberating! Rest in Him. Take refuge in Him. Keep trusting Him.
Bless the Lord, O my soul. Let all that is within me, bless His holy Name.

Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?