Evergreen Valley Church Logo
Pastor Tim's Blog

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

 

Walking wisely

I need more of God's wisdom in my life. The wisdom that helps me navigate through life well. The wisdom that makes me a better person, a better friend, a better husband, a better dad, or a better worker.
We live in a world that has access to a ton of information instantly. But, we are not wiser people. We are not walking wisely. 
Wisdom is seeing things from God's perspective. Wisdom is seeing God in every day ordinary events. In order for us to see God and see things from God's perspective, we need the Word of God to guide us. I love the Wisdom literature found in the Bible. Like the book of Proverbs. Warren Wiersbe wrote this about Proverbs, "The theme of Proverbs is wisdom, the right use of knowledge. This wisdom is more than an intellectual pursuit; it also involves devotion to the Lord. The wise person fears the Lord, trusts Him, and seeks to obey His will. The wisdom described in Proverbs is like a spiritual sixth sense. It enables you to evaluate circumstances and people and make the right decisions in life."
Paul wrote this about wisdom in Ephesians 5:15-16, "Be very careful, then, how you live - not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil."
Be very careful means to think things through. It's all encompassing. As followers of Christ we should demonstrate Godly wisdom in our relationships, our finances, our business transactions - every area of life. The New American Standard translates this verse this way: Be careful how you walk, not as unwise but as wise men. 
Walking wisely means I follow God's plan. Walking wisely means I obey God's word. I walk with God and His Spirit leading the way.  Walking wisely means that when I am faced with a decision I ask, "What's the wise thing to do?" Not, what do I want to do, but what would God have me to do. 
There are 31 chapters in the book of Proverbs. You can read a chapter a day and know that you are reading God's wisdom into your life. And as you're reading it you can put into practice by walking in that Godly wisdom. I want to encourage you to start adding the book of Proverbs to your devotional reading. Read the chapter that corresponds to the day of the month. Let's start getting more of God's wisdom into our brains.
The greatest good in my life is to walk in the wisdom of God. Do you believe that? Will you walk wisely?

Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?