Evergreen Valley Church Logo
Pastor Tim's Blog

Thursday, June 20, 2013

 

God is my helper

One of the most common distinctions for God is the Bible is helper. The Hebrew name if Jehovah Ezer. There are over 200 references in the Bible that describe God as our helper. I suppose He knows we need help.
John Lennon wrote a song called, "Help". In one verse he writes,
"When I was younger so much younger than today, I never needed anybody's help in any way. But now those days are gone and I'm not so self assured, Now I find I've changed my mind and opened up the doors.  Help me if you can I'm feeling down, and I do appreciate you being round, help me get my feet back on the ground, won't you please, please help me."
Everyone needs help. Whether we're feeling down or need to get our feet back on the ground, we all need someone to help us.  Are you looking to God to help you? Are you trusting Him?
Psalm 63: 7 -8 says, "Because you are my help, I sing in the shadow of your wings. My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me."
God will help us our responsibility is to cling to Him.  Here are some verses that teach us of God's continual help in our lives. 
Deuteronomy 33: 26 - There is no one like the God of Jeshurun (Israel), who rides on the heaven to help you and on the clouds in his majesty.
The picture here is that God moves to help us. He rides on the heavens to come to our aid.
2 Chronicles 14:11 - There is no one like you to help the powerless against the mighty. Help us, O Lord our God, for we rely on you, and in your name we have come against this vast army. O Lord you are our God; do not let man prevail against you.
God will help us when we feel overwhelmed, when we feel powerless. The key words here are "we rely on you."
Psalm 121:1 - 2- I lift up my eyes to the hills-where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.
God will help us when we look to him, when we lift our eyes to him. Too many times my eyes are on my troubles when my eyes should be on God. This Psalm teaches us that God's eyes are always on us.
Psalm 28:7 - The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped.
We trust in God to help us. Psalm 46:1 teaches us that God is an ever-present help in trouble.

Martin Luther wrote a song about help too. Luther wrote about God's help. Luther's song may not be as popular as Lennon's, but it's more true and helpful. Luther's song is called "A Mighty Fortress is Our God".
In the very first lines he captures the essence of God's help in our lives:
A mighty fortress in our God
A bulwark never failing;
Our helper He amid the flood
Of mortal ills prevailing.
Thank you God for Your ever present help!


Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?