Evergreen Valley Church Logo
Pastor Tim's Blog

Friday, May 24, 2013

 

4 Traits of friends in Christ




Last week my message focused on being friends in Christ. In Romans 16, Paul lists a lot of names that represented his deep connection with people in the Lord.  Friends in Christ are people that accept you for who you are but love you too much to leave you that way. Friends in Christ are people who serve you and people who you can serve Jesus with.
The Barna Research Group reported that adults identified the church as a place to meet new friends more often than they named any other place. I believe that is what Romans 16 is all about; proof that the church is the best place to find great friends.
The Proverbs teach us a lot about friendships. Let me share a few insights:
·       1.   A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity – Proverbs 17:17.  Real friends will love us no matter what is going on in our life. Real friends will sacrificially love us. Christian friends will love us like Jesus loves us – “greater love has no one that this, that he lay down his life for his friends” (John 15:13).
·       2.  A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother – Proverbs 18:24.  Over time, our Christian friends will prove to be trustworthy and stick with us like a brother or sister.
·        3. Wounds from a friend can be trusted, but an enemy multiplies kisses – Proverbs 27:6.  Christian friends will exhort us. They love us so much that they are willing to say the difficult things that will help us, strengthen us and build us up.  One of my friends tells me, “If you have something stuck in your teeth, I will tell you.”
·      4.   He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm – Proverbs 13:20.  What a great proverb. I need to be careful with whom I walk. My closest friends should be in Christ. If I walk with people who love the wisdom of God, it rubs off on me. I get more divine wisdom.  If I associate with fools I don’t become a fool; I suffer harm. It’s a choice that seems so simple.
Do you have friends like this? Friends who will love you at all times? Friends who will stick with you through thick and thin? Friends who accept you just like you are and love you too much to leave you that way? Friends who love godly wisdom and it rubs off on you?  The best place to find friends like this is in church. These are friends in Christ.

Make God the Lord of your friendships. If you do, you’re life will be blessed beyond measure.


Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?