Evergreen Valley Church Logo
Pastor Tim's Blog

Thursday, January 31, 2013

 

Ten reasons why this Sunday will be super

Nine of these reasons are true every Sunday.


1. This Sunday will be super because it’s a commemoration of the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
It was the first day of the week that Jesus rose from the dead (John 20:1). There’s no doubt that His resurrection is the greatest event to ever happen in the history of the world. Every Sunday is a testimony to that great event.
2. This Sunday will be super because we will remember Jesus through communion. We take the bread and we drink the cup to remind us that our salvation rests on Christ’s finished work (Luke 22:19-20).

3. This Sunday will be super because we are obeying God’s command to set aside a day to rest.
Exodus 20:8-10 – Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God.
I know the Sabbath is Saturday (by the way we offer Saturday night worship as well). The fact remains that we need a day to rest. What better way to start your week than with some soul rest? Jesus said, “Come to me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest” (Matthew 11:28).
4. This Sunday will be super because God will speak to me. God commands Moses to “Assemble the people before me to hear my words so that they may learn to revere me as long as they live in the land and may teach them to their children” (Deuteronomy 4:10).
5. This Sunday will be super because I have an opportunity to get in the Spirit. John, on the Isle of Patmos, “was in the Spirit on the Lord’s Day” (Revelation 1:10). What is getting in the Spirit? Praising and worshipping God. It’s being instructed by His truth. It’s allowing Him to change us. And doing all this with others who will help inspire and encourage me.
6. This Sunday will be super because we are better when we’re together. Hebrews 10:25 tells us, “Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another – and all the more as you see the Day approaching.” I need encouragement and it happens through others when I choose to meet with them in small and large groups.
7. This Sunday will be super because in the church we can display the wisdom and glory of God. Two verses from Ephesians 3. Verse 10 –“His intent was that now, through the church, the manifold wisdom of God should be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly realms.” Verse 21 – “To (God) be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations forever and ever! Amen.”\
8. This Sunday will be super because at church I am better equipped to serve the world. From Ephesians 4:11-12, “It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, to prepare God’s people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up.”
9. This Sunday will be super because I need refreshing. I benefit from worshiping God with others who are like minded. David said, “It is good to praise the Lord and make music to your name” (Psalm 92:1). Something good happens inside me when I praise my Maker with others.
10. And last and certainly LEAST. This reason has no corresponding verse from the Bible. It’s just a bunch of numbers but I think you will get it. This Sunday will be super because 49ers go for 6 at 47!

Believe me the top 9 reasons make Sunday super. Reason number 10 is just me being a fan.

I rejoiced with those who said to me, “Let us go to the house of the Lord.”
Psalm 122:1


Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?